Thursday: Homemade Sausage Rolls
with ready to roll frozen puff pastry & sausage meat
By Aisling Larkin
Served with mash and a side of ketchup.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
1 450g packet Gleeson Butchers sausage meat or Gleeson’s sausages with the skin removed
1 packet ready to roll puff pastry (frozen or chilled)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp tomato puree
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease an oven tray or line it with parchment paper. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk lightly for about 10 seconds with a fork.
2. Remove all the sausage meat from the casing. Put it in a bowl and add all the spices and herbs. Combine together really well. Unroll the puff pastry. Cut in half length ways.
3. Lay the sausage meat mixture down the centre of the pastry. Brush the edges with egg wash.4. Roll them up into one long line. Make sure the join on the pastry is underneath.
7. Brush really well with egg wash and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Cut them into individual sausage rolls. Place on the oven tray.
8. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown and crisp. The bigger you cut each one the longer they will need in the oven – we usually cut each strip into 8 sausage rolls.
9. Serve with Gleeson’s mashed potato and warm ketchup.