Margaret’s Chicken Liver Pâté
Recipe shared by Margaret, a customer of Gleeson Butchers Navan
- 30g Raisins
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1large garlic clove crushed
- 225g butter
- 450g chicken livers
- 2tsp fresh herbs, parsley, thyme rosemary
- 150 ml brandy
- Salt and black pepper
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with cling film.
- Put the raisins and 120 ml brandy in a small pot and simmer for 5 minutes, allow to cool then drain the raisins and put them on the bottom of the loaf tin.
- Cook the onion & garlic in 25g of butter in a pan over a low heat for 3/4 mins.
- Trim the livers, add to the pan with the herbs and cook for 3 mins or until the livers have just browned on outside. Allow to cool.
- Dice the remaining butter. Put the liver mixture in a food processor and process gradually adding the cubes of butter until a smooth purée is formed.
- Add the remaining 30ml brandy and season.
- Add the liver mixture to the loaf tin and cover with the cling film.
- Chill in fridge until required.
- This is a slightly coarse pate but if smooth is required just sieve the liver mixture before putting it in the loaf tin.
- Serve with Melba toast.