Charlotte’s Chilli Beef
Here’s my recipe for Chilli Beef. It is similar to but different from Chilli Con Carne. I don’t use kidney beans but I do use sweetcorn, which tastes great and adds volume. This recipe is just a guide, you can adjust it to suit your own taste. It’s best to taste as it’s cooking so you can add more chilli powder if needed.
The cardinal rule is not to let it boil, as it ends up tasting like boiled beef.
Charlotte, customer of Gleeson Butchers Artane
- 1lb Gleesons 95% fat free mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small tin of tomato purée
- 1 small tin of sweet corn, drained (optional)
- 1 jar or pack of MILD chilli powder
- 1tablespoon of Heinz/Aldi sweet chilli ketchup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the mince gently on pan. It’s very important not to allow it to boil.
- Add chopped onions and peppers and stir gently until soft.
- Add plenty of chilli powder and stir well until mix becomes darker.
- Add purée and mix well.
- Add tinned tomatoes, mix well.
- Add sweetcorn (optional).
- Add teaspoon of sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sweet chilli ketchup (optional).
- Put mix into large pot or slow cooker and cook VERY gently for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Do not allow to boil!
- Serve with baked potato or rice or chips or pitta bread/wrap and salad.
- This chilli improves if left overnight. Reheat in pot as required.